Head of Government and Corporate Division
With an excellent understanding of government processes and a comprehensive knowledge of government policy direction, Peter is motivated, reliable and outcome focused. He has moved successfully from advising the Federal Minister for Health and Aged
Having worked at the highest levels of Executive Government as a political and policy adviser based in Canberra, Peter has
Peter’s transition from government to the private sector has been
- Defining and driving all aspects of the Simplified Billing project for the Health Insurance Commission (now Medicare Australia), which is now implemented in all specialist offices.
- Creating the Digital Hospital market in Australia for HP and ahead of the competition, managing to negotiate and secure the largest single contract f($276m) or HP
Peter is very capable at manoeuvring through bi-partisan political relationships, finding new revenue streams and capabilities, understanding complex issues and managing stakeholders and outcomes across all levels of government and industry.
As a former policy adviser for the Federal Government (Howard Coalition), Peter has a thorough understanding of all aspects of the Federal Government, state governments and related budget appropriations, and experience developing and implementing substantial government initiatives in relation to private health insurance, Australian Commonwealth Health Agreements, and the medical profession.
Having been responsible for steering the passage of many Government Bills through both chambers of Federal Parliament, he also has an excellent working knowledge and understanding of
Peter has had close working relationships with key industry organisations, Boards of Directors, Chief Executive Officers, and state and territory governments to advance
Having also worked in the Prime Minister’s office for the 1998 and 2001 election campaigns Peter has
- Senior Adviser to Kay Patterson, the Minister for Community Services and Joe Hockey, the Minister for Human Services- policy advice across the areas of pension and superannuation income, and managing the
Minsters’ interests across a number of government ownedcorporate entities, including Australian Hearing and CRS Australia.
- Policy Adviser to Michael Wooldridge the Minister for Health and Aged Care- responsible for policy and strategic advice on private health insurance, Australian Health Care Agreements and public/private hospitals.
- Account Director at Telstra focusing on driving business growth across $60m government clients;
- Client Sales Executive- Health at HP Enterprise Services- winning HP’s World Wide New Logo Contract of the Year Award for the new Royal Adelaide hospital contracts;
- Manager, ECLIPSE- (Simplified Billing)- Health Insurance Commission;
- Private Consultant- Health Insurance Commission and Deutsche Bank AG advising on the
privitsationof Medibank Private.
- Peter is also on the Board of Directors of the Australian Institute of Policy Science.
Peter is highly regarded by his colleagues and peers for his professionalism, genuine manner and passion for challenges.
Overview of skills and strengths
- Experience in
governanceof several aspects of the health industry, (Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS), Private Health and Hospital industries, Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA), Pharmaceutical and Pharmacies, Federal State Healthcare Agreements, and Social Services);
- Sound business acumen, able to develop markets, products and new revenue streams and then execute a strategy to achieve success;
- Ability to identify a project, develop and firmly plan the concept, oversee the development and implementation within strict time constraints;
- Strong sales capability and achievement of sales targets;
- Understanding of complex legislation, medical issues, information technology, and government policy;
- Strategic planning capabilities;
- Sound program and project management skills;
- Staff management and career development capabilities;
- Refined and effective communication skills, including strong written skills;
- Enthusiastic, tenacious, diligent and a team player;
- Confident negotiating skills demonstrated with Federal Ministers, Boards of Directors, Chief Executive Officers, departmental officials, and industry organisations.
Communications and Public Relations
Quality communications and Public Relations is highly strategic and can deliver exceptional value for an organisation if well executed. At Bossy Group we ensure the messaging and strategy is developed with our clients to meet specific objectives.
- Communications/ Public Relations Strategy and Planning
- Stakeholder engagement planning and execution
- Press/ Media Releases
- Messaging and written communications (including reports)
- Editing of corporate messaging
- Crisis Management
Independent Facilitation / Workshops
Effective workshops that are outcomes focused can be a powerful tool for a government organisation or a corporation. At Bossy Group we deliver a tailored workshop service that is developed with the client to ensure specific goals are achieved.
Our Workshops services include:
- Outcome focused activities
- Reporting/ Feedback